Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Vendor Spotlight: Trellis Weddings - My Exclusive Florist

Meet Courtney - Owner of Trellis Wedding - Floral Designer
Pictured here with David Tutera! 


When I first decided to start my own wedding planning company, I started attending local bridal shows to gather information and introduce myself to local vendors.  This approach was one of the best decisions I made for a few reasons.  The first is because I was able to meet vendors in a non-pressure enviornment, but also approach them in a way that would show me how they would treat my brides, as that is what they suspected at first I was... a bride shopping for wedding vendors.


The vendor who impressed me the most was Courtney Pilman of Trellis Weddings.  Her bright, warm smile greeted me as I approached her booth at the Key Lime Cove Bridal Expo last January.  I will be honest... her floral display was what caught my eye from across the room! I quickly made a bee line straight for her booth, passing up several other vendors along the way.  I loved everything about the floral design she had displayed. The contemporary use of color, the elegance of the choice of vase mixed with a bit of rustic charm in using curly willow branches, beautiful draped crystals and submerged led floral lights.  I smiled and chatted a bit until I finally got the nerve up to ask... "How much would you charge for a centerpiece like this" ... mind you, I sat biting my lip as I stared at the tall orchid, lilly, rose and hydrengea filled vase draped in crystals... "About $90.00", she replied.  I nearly fell back! "WHAT?!?!?!"


Courtney's style, vision, creativity and talent is what drew my eye and what keeps my brides interested in only working with her.  However, her price point and her passion about creating a beautiful wedding for every bride is what makes her Johanna Luna Weddings and Event's exclusive wedding florist.

Please keep on reading to get a chance to meet a bit of Courtney.  Enjoy drooling over her work in the few pictures here!


A little bit of Courtney... and Trellis Weddings' AMAZING floral designs













    How did you get started in floral designs?

I had worked at a florist throughout high school and college as an “after school job”- good hours and fun work!   I never thought it would come as far as this, but I love what I do!

 What inspires you when you create floral designs for weddings?
Everything… Honestly!  I’m always looking for inspirations, and they come from everywhere. I get color inspiration from nature as well as from fashion- I read a lot of different magazines too!  As far as different designs, I love working with different kinds of flowers and making combinations that work together!
What piece of wedding details is your favorite to design and why?

Definitely the bridal bouquet!  I love doing the bouquets in particular, because they play such an important role. Most of the time, it’s the first floral the bride sees, and it’s pretty much with her all day. I love to be a part of something so special!

 What inspired you to start your own business?

Weddings have been my passion from the start of my design career, and I used to be the head wedding designer at the shop I worked at.  My husband and I found out we were going to have a baby, and I really wanted to be able to stay at home with her WHILE doing something I loved, so it was a perfect match!

  Why the name “Trellis”?

My grandparents live near Atlanta, and while visiting them we went to a quaint little town (you know, the ones with brick streets and cute shops?!) Well, there was a little plant shop called “Trellis Designs” down there- the name immediately stuck with me. At that time, I was just getting ideas to start my business, and was trying to think of names that sounded bridal without being overdone, Trellis seemed perfect! I also love that it’s not my name, because I’ve seen that a thousand times too!

Your prices are so competitive… how do you keep them that way?

I work from a home studio, so my overhead is quite a bit less than a traditional shop. I strive to do beautiful designs for any budget and will work hard to suggest different options to do so.

 What advice would you give to brides who are shopping for wedding flowers?
Ask a lot of questions! There are so many flowers that are available year-round (while others are seasonal), but there are so many beautiful flower varieties to fit any style. I would also suggest thinking about what kind of feel you want for your wedding, because flowers can play a huge role with helping you achieve that.  Modern, Garden, Elegant… there are so many styles out there- and asking a designer what kinds and colors of flowers they’d suggest can help you a bunch! Also, by hiring a wedding planner, you get a wealth of knowledge you wouldn’t have otherwise- so I’d definitely suggest that (not only for flowers, but for the whole wedding planning process!)
  If you were designing your own wedding centerpiece, for your wedding today… what would it look like?
Oh my goodness! So many to choose from… I don’t know how brides do it! I really love the “rustic/elegance” look, so I’d probably go with lots of curly willow branches with candles hanging down with different orchids (and crystals!) But I’d definitely do a mixture of centerpieces- I love the look that different textures give!
What sets Trellis apart from other Chicagoland wedding florists
I love doing what I do!  From meeting with my clients and helping them choose the flowers to actually designing and setting up- I love being part of such an important day in my client’s lives.  I strive to provide the most up-to-date designs while staying in budgets. Every wedding is different, and I love to see the end product!
  Where do you see Trellis in 5 years?

I’d love to just continue to do what I’m doing- making beautiful flowers for beautiful weddings! However… if David Tutera calls me to do one of his events- I’m so there!


If you haven't seen enough of Courtney's beautiful work or you are just simply ready to hire her please contact her! Remember to tell her you heard about her through Johanna Luna Weddings and Events!




No comments:

Post a Comment